The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 12th, ONE YEAR POST!!

Wow, where to begin? Leading up to this week I felt a mix of emotions when I thought about the amazing year we’ve shared with our little boy. All along people were asking me if I was sad that he was ‘growing up’. “Of course not, I’m just excited for the next phase…” I must have said at least 10 times…that was BEFORE I put together his b-day slide show. Between that, and the making of his ‘Growing With Grover’ banner, I was very quickly overwhelmed with how much love and life happen in one year??

For so long, I've often heard, “enjoy it while you can, they grow up before you know it”. I can honestly say that not a day went by this year that I did not think of those words and remember to enjoy every single second. From the sleepless nights, projectile vomits, and trips to the hospital, to the first teeth, first words, first steps and everything in between; I have constantly reminded myself that each experience will only happen once. Whether it’s good, or bad, I will never have these moments back again. I know this year has flown by, but I also know that I couldn’t have been more aware or engaged in every second I’ve spent with my little boy. For that, I am grateful.

November 12th, 2009 @ 7:47
The most amazing event of my life, meeting my little boy.

November 12, 2010 @ 7:00
Meeting my little birthday boy with balloons!
Having birthday doughnuts with my class (I took the day off to spend with a certain 1 year old).

Meeting daddy-man for lunch at Kinch's to watch the choo-choo trains!
Staying up to see my cousins on my birthday and have a quick jam session! The last few months he’s really developed into the social bug. He loves saying ‘hi’ to new people and waves his sweet little hand to everyone he sees. He thinks most everything is funny and claps at the silliest things. He has a way of looking at you that makes everything inside turn to mush. His giggle is ridiculously addictive and will make you do/say/sing/dance just about anything to get some more of it. His comedic timing is also developing, he loves making you wait for the silly-ness you’re looking for.

Favorite Activities –


Playing peek-a-boo (sometimes covering his eyes, but most of the time his ears). He thinks this is hi-larious and claps for himself most every time.

Itsy Bitsy Spider – he can do most of the motions with you, and NEVER fails to clap and give a high-five at the completion of the song. Such a good audience.

Walking – he’s pretty quick now-a-days and thinks he’s pretty slick when he does his 360’s (pivots on his foot to turn himself around). Along with this, however, comes plenty of falling. We get, on average, 2-3 new bumps/bruises a week.

Airplanes! – loves them and will call for them whenever he hears anything that remotely sounds like an airplane (lawn mower, air conditioner, refrigerator). My favorite is his airplane noise, this closely resembles a constipation groaning.

Kindermusic – we are both enjoying the heck out of this! I highly recommend it. I wasn’t sure how much we’d get out of it, but each week I see new things he’s learning and I LOVE it! I think my favorite part is that he’s learning ‘patience’. The first time we went to the class I realized how quick I am to give him objects he wants. Well, guess what. That’s not life. While he doesn’t love learning patience, music and singing have helped us develop this skill J

Ball – loves rolling, chewing, kicking a ball. Him and Brodey have had a few showdowns when it’s come to outside ball time. Not my favorite.

Exploring – will walk around pointing and talking to new objects for hours.

Opening and Closing – this he does with any door, cabinet, basically anything with a hinge. He thinks it’s great when you say ‘open/close’ really fast while he’s doing it (until his finger gets slammed, of course).

Baths – LOVES a bath, he’s getting a little adventurous though, which I do not love. I must say “sit on your bottom” at least 10 times each bathing session.

Brushing his teeth – if you say it, he’s pointing to it and saying ‘tee, tee, tee’ (teeth). He sits with his head back and mouth open the entire time. I love it.

Books – he’s getting pretty decent about pointing and saying the objects while we read (mainly ‘Goodnight Moon’ since we read it nightly).

SWINGING – kid LOVES to swing. Can’t get enough of it. He laughs sooo hard when you swing with him in the porch swing and bump his feet. Haven’t really figured out why that’s so funny.

Cars – I must hear ‘car, car, car’ at least 50 times a day. It’s really funny because now when I put my shoes on he thinks it’s trip time.

Favorite Food –
Hot dogs, cheerios, green beans, fish sticks, sweet potatoes, apples, cheesy noodles, peaches, pears, waffles, and blueberry pancakes.

Favorite Words –
Juice, trees, car, apple, toys, ball, swing (but sounds like “sing”), mama, dada, Gigi, birds (and can make a bird sound ‘ka ka, ka ka), he can’t say “cow” yet, but when you say it he makes the ‘moooo’ sound, bites, plane (sounds like “pane”), cat, shoes (but this sounds very similar to ‘juice’ so we get them confused sometimes), Chap (sounds like “chp”…which pleases Chap none, but I think it’s too funny and might or might not be advocating it).

Milestones –
NO MORE FORMULA/LIQUID GOLD (and this, my friends, has given us a hefty pay increase) He’s really enjoying the milk I think, even though his hiney isn’t fully convinced. We’re now trying ‘Lactaid’ via recommendation from pediatrician in hopes to jump start his systems ability to handle whole milk.

NO MORE ACID REFLUX MEDICINE (again, feels like a mild promotion)

Got his 2nd haircut already (this one was a little short though, so I think it should last a while.)


Has had 2 baby colds now and no ear infections to follow (I say this while knocking on wood). This is a big deal for us, we were on a pretty good roll there for a while.

Opinion/Sass – though rare, it has been evident for him to grunt/growl or perform tantrum-like symptoms when he’s not totally pleased with something. We’re hoping to keep this to a minimum, but understand the reality of toddler-hood and how it effects our chances.

Growing with Grover - ONE YEAR OLD!
(you might wonder why he's not laying down with grover as done in previous months, please refer to the last listed 'milestone' for answer).
Stats:
weight: 19lbs, 10 oz (15th %)...and this is WITH me leaving the soaking wet diaper
height: 30 1/2 in. (75th %)
head: 18 1/2 in. (75th %)


Little Winn, we love you with every single bit of our hearts and couldn’t be more proud of the little boy you’ve become. You not only light up the room with your sweet smile and spirit, but you light up our hearts with every thought of you. We can’t measure the joy you’ve brought into our lives this year and the countless memories to go with it. We love you and look forward to loving/growing with you year #2!
Love, Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

Katherine said...

LOVE that little man!!! I am totally stunned over his vocabulary! It's so funny how some babies can be so advanced in some areas and not in others--S could hike up a mountain perfectly while babbling into a cell phone but she can't say anything more than mama and dada ;)