The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Our 'Biolin' Boy

So, we recently discovered a new passion...the violin. Not sure when exactly this developed; we think it might have been the lovely quartet at the Nebraska wedding. Earlier this week Winston was very clearly trying to play the violin...with whatever he could use to reflect the violin motion. His arms, pens, crayons, sticks, etc.


During an after-dinner-band-practice session this weekend (sit around in the kitchen while mom cleans up and play the drums with kitchen accessories while dad accompanies with guitar), we decided to get Chap's real violin out to see if he would know what to do with it.


Turns out he did. Kind of. The bo was entirely too long to take with him all the places he needed it; the car, the grocery store, the pool, the bed, etc.


This was earlier this morning at breakfast. He has been getting up EXTRA early screaming "Mommmma...BIOLIN" in his crib until I wake up, and take him to get his violin (no we have not actually let him take it to sleep with yet; but a few more early morning wake up calls and I might be tempted...)

Seriously...I haven't seen him this obsessed with anything yet. It cracked me up. We took the strings out of the bo, so it doesn't even make noise. Yet, he thinks he is playing the violin...he will have a little performance, set the bo and violin down, and begin clapping for himself.
Watching Dave Mathews Band to get motivated after breakfast. He loves some Boyd.


So, this afternoon (after several near domestics with the extra long bo he was using from Chap's violin) we decided we'd venture down to the local music shop, Woody's, to see if they had any smaller bo's he might be able to manage a little better.


...and instead we came home with this. A gently used baby violin. Comes complete with baby bo, baby case, and a baby CD/DVD set for mommy and daddy teaching them how to play the violin (which by the way...listening to someone learn the violin is simlar to what I imagine cats might sound like when they are dying.)
I'm not sure why I didn't think of it sooner...stick + guitar = his Heaven. I'd be lying if I said there isn't a small part of me that hopes he has a little bit of talent to combine with his passion for music. However, if not...that's ok too. At least he will be a little diverse with his instrumental knowledge, and can perhaps start a one man basement band of his own one day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that he is following in daddy's footsteps with his love of music. I'm sure that makes Chap so happy. Sadly, my kids have zero musical abilities in their genes. :). He sure is growing up fast. Hoping to get to meet him one day.

Katherine said...

that little man cracks me up!!! I love that he's so into musical instruments. We've got a drummer on our hands over here. S's favorite tv character is a girl drummer so now she uses 2 wooden spoons to drum on everything. She even taps them together while counting before she starts. At this point I'd trade the violin screeching for all the banging (and I played the violin so I know how bad that screeching can be).

Cookie and Poppy said...

Chap was too busy playing any kind of ball when he was little to pay any attention to music. He picked it up in college. He comes from musical families, but it skipped his mom and dad. They can't sing or play "a lick". I love that boy. Addison love her some piano, so they could be a cuz duet!

Roxanne said...

I had the pleasure of being given a concert by Winston when he and his mommy came to visit last week. When Heather brought his violin in, in it's case, I have never seen a child his age more proud and more respectful of what I would think some kids his age would think was a toy. After warming up a bit :) he sat on his mommy's lap and gave me a concert. After much loud clapping and lots of praise he came and sat on my lap and gave his Momma a concert. It was one of the Cutest things I have ever seen! The violinist in Neb. Must have been sitting down! There is no doubt in my mind that this child was born with music in his soul. I have never seen an instrument yet that he didn't get the basics of just by watching someone play it for a short time. And I've seen him make instruments out of many things that were never meant for that. He is Gigi's child prodigy!

Amber said...

Heather! That is pretty dang adorable! what a cutie pie and his bolin.....too stinkin' cute!