The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's a Bird...It's a PLANE!!

In case you're not aware, PLANES are a pretty big deal in my family. My grandfather, the original 'Norman WINSTON Gourley' was a fighter pilot in the Marine Corps, and later a Major General, dedicating over 35 years of his life to aviation and our country...needless to say, our family likes airplanes just a little bit.

I've been waiting for Winn to show interest in real, LIVE, flying, airplanes for a while now ...making sure I point out each one. Till this week, he didn't so much lift his eyes up to the sky in the direction of my finger pointing. I was wondering if he'd EVER understand planes!!

Finally, a few nights ago, we were walking to get the mail and he heard a plane (on his own) and started searching the sky. I looked up and saw a very low flying plane, pointed, and said "Airplane!!" He smiled REALLY big and pointed his little baby finger at the airplane and said "ppppp" (English = plane)

I immediately thanked my grandfather for the very special moment I had just shared with my little boy.

Today on our walk, he got to see more planes. I had to get my phone out to capture a few of the moments...the entire walk consisted of him and his pursuit for planes (and I didn't plan the outfit either, in case you were wondering).

Stop the stroller, mom, I think I hear something. Wait for it...wait for it...
Yep! There's the ppppp



This is the picture that hangs in Winn's room of his great grandfather, Sho Sho (meaning 'to fly') in his jet. My wonderful Auntie Anne had the picture blown up, restored, matted, and framed as a baby gift for Winston.
This is the quote at the bottom of the frame. It hangs over the rocking chair, so we're reminded of it every night when we do our bedtime routine.
This was my grandfather's airplane. My grandmother gave it to him many, many years ago. She then gave it to her great grandson as a 'welcome home' gift when he was born (adding to the excitement that W was born at exactly 7:47 a.m.). Both gifts mean the world to me and will be cherished by me, and my son always!



Little Winn, keep looking for the planes. We can't wait to teach you about your GREAT grandfather!

4 comments:

Jenn @ The 31 Years said...

This is going to make me cry...so sweet!

Katherine said...

This is too sweet! I love that little guy :)

Jules said...

So sweet Heather! I'll make sure to encourage his love for planes too :-)

Michelle said...

YAY! I'm so glad you found my blog and so glad we can be blogging friends. :) I love this post and it's the sweetest thing ever! Lil Winn sure is growing up fast - what a sweet boy!