The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Monday, January 4, 2010

Never Quit!

Please disregard the last post…momma obviously didn’t know what a ‘mess’ was till this week! My goodness, parenthood is really keeping us on our toes with this little guy :)

Last week, Winn started throwing up a few times a day. I called the doctor who told me it was probably from the mucus and RSV. So…it went on for a few more days, getting progressively worst, while the RSV was improving. Finally, after 3 days in a row of my child projectile vomiting after EVERY feeding, we figured it was time to call the doctor again…which happened to be on New Year’s Eve. He told us it was time to take him to the hospital. So, away we went…to spend another holiday in the ER!

After several hours, one ultra sound, and a projectile vomit in the good doctor’s face…it was determined that our little boy had Pyloric Stenosis. This is a condition that little boys can be born with (unexplained) that causes a valve below the stomach to grow too fast and quit working, not allowing food to pass through, therefore creating projectile vomit. While it was quite disturbing to me that my 7 week old child would need surgery to open this valve, I was also very relieved to know that there was a solution to so many of the problems we’ve watched our little guy struggle with.


This was before...throwing up on average 16 times a day. He would wake himself up from vomitting.


Happy New Year!! This was the first hour we were at the hospital, on our way to figure out what the heck was wrong with our little guy!!

He was so weak after not having nutrients for several days, he slept most of the time...except when he got his first IV :(


After surgery, notice the IV in his poor little head. They had to ask me to leave the room when they put this in...momma got a little red on the nurses after they stuck both hands, and feet, trying to find a good vein.

Hanging out with Gramps after surgery. Thank you dad for ALL of your help and support! Your positive attitude helped us through a VERY difficult night, and I love you for that!


Chillin' with Cookie watching the Carolina game. Thank you, Marilyn, for ALL you do! You are always the first one to offer your love and time and we appreciate it more than you know!


I look back on this week and can’t really believe all that we’ve experienced. It’s amazing the things your body and emotions can endure when it comes to your child. I’m so lucky to have a strong husband to go through this with. I feel like it’s made us stronger parents and a stronger TEAM. I pray every night for parents and families that have a sick child. We are extremely lucky that our little boy could be treated and healed so quickly. I understand this, and am forever grateful.

As for my little boy…I don’t have words that can describe how much I admire his strength. He’s definitely a fighter with such a sweet spirit that reminds me of what’s important in life. Even when he was at his worst, he would look up at me after throwing up and smile…as if to say, “Mommy, I’m cool…stop worrying!” So many times I would look at him and be reminded of a quote by Winston Churchill that hangs in his room, “Never, never, never quit.” I think my boy is already learning this lesson, and reminding me of it every day.








14 comments:

Krissee said...

Oh and I thought I had cried enough. This was a really sweet post. I'm so proud of you and Chap and the parents you are now and will continue to be. I believe you handled everything with great confidence and I'm so relieved that Winston will continue to improve. We love you and still pray for Winns full recovery.

Garrett and Allison Reed said...

Heather I cannot imagine what y'all have been going through!!! I am so thankful you were able to figure out what has been going on though. I will be praying for continued healing. Love you so much!

Jaysey said...

Ditto what Krissee said. All of it.

Russ and Sarah Compton said...

Hang in there! You guys are doing a great job! Poor Winn! Even him being sick, he is such a cutie.

Julie said...

Oh my goodness Heather what a ride you guys have been on lately. I will pray for little Winn. I am hopefull that now after his surgery things will start looking up. If you need anything please let me know. I know you guys are a little ride from us but if there is anything I can do please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Okay, totally crying over here. I was already so sad about the news, but to SEE pictures of the poor little guy just made me cry. I just do not think an IV in a child's head is right... how awful. :( He sure is a cutie... even sick in the hospital! I am just so sorry you have to go through all of this, as if having a newborn isn't hard & tiring enough! I just hope & pray that this is it for you, Chap and poor Winn! I think you have all been through enough, but I guess "that which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger." Praying for you, friend, and sending hugs your way!

Katherine said...

Wow, I thought I was finally getting my emotions back in check but your post brought the tears. Poor little Winn-what a fighter. I'm so happy to hear that he's recovering. Savannah thinks he's cute even covered in vomit :)

Amber said...

you guys are doing a great job hanging in there! I can't imagine what you have been going through, but you have appeared to come through it with strength and grace. What a great mom you are and will continue to be! love you

Jen said...

Hi Heather,
I'm a friend of Daniel's and found your blog through his. I've enjoyed reading about your preparations for Winn's arrival, and was so sorry to hear about his illnesses. We had to leave Christmas Eve dinner for the ER when our son (who is now 2) was 9 days old. He spent a week in the hospital with RSV. They are tough lil' guys, and believe it or not, there will come a day (very soon) when Winn will be such a mover and shaker that you won't ever even think about these sick, scary days.
Congratulations on Winn's arrival, and I'll be keeping you all in my prayers here in NJ.

The Batts said...

man oh man...i am so glad he is feeling better!!! that must have been really scary!! good thing you found out sooner rather than later!

Matt and Dionne said...

Oh man Heather! I had no idea you guys were going through all this. I really need to check the blogs a bit more often. I'm so relieved that little Winn and parents were so brave during the surgery. I just can't believe everything you've had to go through in your 1st few months as a new mommy. You guys are def. in our prayers!

Alisha Oldroyd said...

Sick babies are the worst... I am SO SO sorry you've had to go through all of this! Such a challenging time as new parents!

On a brighter note, you have one darn cute baby there. I know you know that but seriously-- one of the cutest I've ever seen!

Browneyedgrl said...

My son just had the same surgery on december 19th (he was only 3 weeks old)!! It was awful with the projectile vomiting! I knew something was wrong because my 14 month old twins never ever spit up and this was just unreal! It spit across the room at one point! My son ended up back in the hospital with a bad infection. I hope your son does better than mine did!

Browneyedgrl said...

heather i wanted to ask you...did they tell you at the hospital that pyloric is past on! I found out after i went thru this that my dad's uncle had a baby 60 years ago. They also told me it is normally the first born child and it does happen in girls but mostly in boys. THey also said children with B+ and O+ blood type are normally the ones who have this! They told me i could have more children with this and to keep my eye out for it!