The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The 'Marley & Me' Effect

I took one of my old students, Bailey, to see ‘Marley and Me’ this past week. We both decided to read the book over Christmas Break, and a lunch/movie date was a perfect way to celebrate. Little did I know the effect it would have…

First of all, if you’ve seen the movie, and you have a dog, then you understand what I mean when I say you leave the movie a sobbing mess. Bailey and I immediately drove to my house to pick Brodey up and take him to the vet. He needed some more heart worm medicine, and since the beast seems to have enlarged since our last visit, I figured it would be smart to take him to get weighed on the ‘large animal’ scale they have...which I’m glad I did because he’s gained 10 lbs since our last visit a couple months ago, making him 105 lbs. This places fattie in the higher dosage/more expensive heart worm medication.

If any of you have ever met Brodey, you would understand why we decided to make him an ‘outdoor dog’ after moving into our new house. He has rather large jaws that seem to hold an enormous amount of slobber, which can be unleashed at any time without warning. Well, obviously after the movie this would change. Brodey got an extreme bath the next day so that he could come inside and hang out with his loving parents (yes, we put towels out for him to lay on and have been following him around with a slobber rag to wipe away any disasters).

Needless to say, Brodey has thoroughly enjoyed the effects that “Marley & Me” has had on ME. Our once outdoor, slobbering dog has now become an indoor, slobbering dog.

11 comments:

Jaysey said...

Awww...Brodey--welcome to being an inside dog again! ;-) I hate when they go into a new weight/more expensive category. Penny did that recently. And I am sure Bonnie will soon follow. I haven't seen that movie. I wanted to, but then everybody kept talking about how it made them cry. I don't like crying.

Krissee said...

Oh Heather, your sensitive heart. I'm not sure I want to see the movie after hearing how everyone cried. And you know if Daniel sees it he will have our dogs sleeping in the bed with us and laying all over the furniture and I don't want to have to break those bad habits again. I'm glad Brodey is inside now. Although I have to admit I was a little envious of your outside dog situation, I've missed him, slobber and all.

Courtney Heinlein said...

That is too cute! Marley and Me is such a great book and it really hits a cord with all dog owners. Kurt and I too have a fattie black lab whom sheds and slobbers all over but, we wouldn't have it any other way!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this movie yet and I was looking forward to it UNTIL my sister saw it with her little girl and said it was the sadest movie ever. You are the 2nd person now to say how sad it is, so I think I will pass.

Daniel said...

You do remember Krissee making fun of me on the cruise last thanksgiving (best thanksgiving ever) for balling my eyes out at the end of that book. Krissee's right - i'm not sure that I EVER have to see that movie. (I mean, I can't handle that stupid 30 second ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan and Angel).

At least your fatty dog didn't get put on prescription diet food the way out fatty allie did. That's right. Allie's on a diet, and I dare say she's doing better at dieting than her dad is.

Russ and Sarah Compton said...

Good for Brodey. I don't think i could make it through Marley & Me with the state I am in. Macksy has gained some wait but nothing like Brodey.

Anonymous said...

So glad you and Bailey went to see Marley and Me. But my gosh, have you ever depressed me!! I haven't even read the book yet. Now I'm afraid to do that!!! That must be why you had Brodey inside the other day when I talked to you. Guess you didn't tell me because you knew I'd be slobbering all over the phone!!! Beautiful pic of Brodey! May he always be an inside dog now!!! Look at that face. How can you make that darling LITTLE baby stay outside?

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

I'm not sure i want to see the movie either after hearing all the sob stories. you can only assume what happens at the end and i don't think i would like that at all. is brodey staying inside for good?

Doug & Stef said...

How funnny - i want to see that so badly! I guess I'll have to read it and wait for it to come out on video :)

Chap and Heather said...

Yea, I might suggest seeing the movie on DVD...at least that way if it gets to sad you can stop it OR cry hysterically in the privacy of your own home =)

Daniel, just THINKING about that dang commerical made me tear up! That's funny about the diet food...I thought it was just her fluffy fur that made her big, I didn't realize she was fluffy herself =)

Amber, yea...I guess till the movie wears off he'll be an indoor dog =) It's not so bad...and the good part is he knows how to cheer you up if you need it! Just watching his goofiness sometimes make me laugh.

Kristen said...

Okay, so I'm a dog lover extraordinaire and now I'm definitely not seeing "Marley and Me." I TOLD my friend Patti that I just knew it would end with me sobbing hysterically. Thanks for the confirmation. Congrats to Brodey!