The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Projects in Action

For Christmas, my parents got us some very creative gifts! We will definitely be busy for a while =)

Chap got a new 'Skill Saw'. I don't know alot about these things, but I do know that my dad was just as excited to get it open as Chap was (aren't they cute?!) Anyway, Chap has finished the fireplace mantle and the flower boxes outside...however, his 'to do' list is only getting longer =)



I got a new sewing machine, which I was thrilled about! I don't know a LOT about sewing, but that doesn't mean I can't learn?!


After I opened it, my mom quickly added one condition: I had to make her a quilt. Ha! I'm pretty sure it will be a couple years before I learn the quilting business, however, I did promise her the first "creation" which was this pillow that matches her new bedroom. Not sure if you can see, but embroidered on it is "No Place Like Home". Amber and Carter were kind enough to take a trip with me to the fabric store so I could get my new sewing basket and sewing essentials...thank you Amber & Carter!! =)


If Chap new how to post by himself, he'd probably add the fact that I had to keep my portable DVD player plugged in directly beside my sewing machine so I could watch and re-watch the machine tutorial over and over and over again. Ha!

My next project will be to make a doggie bed for our 'new' indoor dog =) Hopefully, after that I can move on from 'pillows' to something a little more exciting...

13 comments:

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

Heather, the pillow looks GREAT! I'm sure your mom just loved it. I really am impressed with your talents! We can get my mom to help on the quilting thing. it's really not as hard as you think.

Matt and Dionne said...

How fun is that!!! I've got a sewing machine that McKenzie bought about 6 years ago and got as far as opening it. She gave it to me a couple years later and I've never even opened it:( My mom sews and made me take lessons from her when I was in junior high so don't ask me why I've never even opened mine...
The pillow is so cute! Great job! I can't wait to see your other creations...Chap's too! I'm curious about the mantel...

Chap and Heather said...

Amber~ I would LOVE some classes from Sandy...heck, I'd like some classes from anybody!! =)

Dionne~ I'll take some pics of Chap's creations...the manel turned out REALLY great! Our mantel before looked like an extra big limb that fell from one of the trees and was stuck above the fire place. This one looks much better =)

The Morgans said...

I am super impressed! I could never get my foot to mash the pedal when my eyes and brain wanted it to.....well you probably already knew that from my excellent displays of coordination. The pillow is awesome and I can't wait to see what is next. I am going to brag about Chap to my hubby and maybe that might get me some handy man things done!

Russ and Sarah Compton said...

The pillow looks wonderful. Sewing is a good stress reliever. Chap looks very excited about that saw! You two are a very crafty couple!!

Anonymous said...

WHat great gifts!! Good job mom & dad!! I love how excited your dad looks when Chap is opening his saw! :)
I don't know the single most thing about sewing, but have always wanted to learn. I am super impressed with your pillow Miss Martha Stewart! Can't wait to see more of your awesome creations.

Krissee said...

Oh Heather that is awesome!

Jaysey said...

I wanted a saw for Christmas, too. BUt I'm also a little afraid I'll chop off a limb. Guess I need to take that carpentry class first...I did get that handy power drill (thanks!), which I have successfully used once so far but which I am sure I will use a lot more post-february when my house gets filled up again and I have lots of projects to do! ;-)

Daniel said...

Heather - don't talk bad about your old mantle - it had some awesome little peg holes in it too.Some of which were flush, some of which weren't. That was the charm.

Anonymous said...

Heather Doll, Forgive me for not getting on your blog sooner. Will let you know why later. But I wanted to let you know how completely touched I was to receive your first project, that darling pillow (as everyone in Cracker Barrel in Gaffney could attest to when I took it out of the bag and started crying and we both got out of the booth and started hutting each other!). It is so pretty and matches the bedroom perfectly! Am planning on sending you a note but I took pictures of the pillow and haven't got them developed yet. But I will! You are the most amazing, incredible, awesome person I have ever met. I have watched you through the years do everything you have set your mind to! I am so proud of you!!!

Marissa said...

i want to get a really good sewing machine too...but i want one that comes with lessons! if someone would have told me that i would want a sewing machine one day i would have called them crazy..my mom gave me one a while ago, but it was kind of old and i want a really easy to use one!

Tonya * said...

Hi Heather and Chap! Thank you for the kind words. I know Charlie was excited to hear that both of you are doing well. It is great to be able to see some of Charlie's old friends!

Love,
Tonya, Charlie & Cohen

Colly said...

new post!