The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas in Arkansas


It's been about ten years since we've been back to visit my grandmother as a family. Chap and I did make a trip out there about 2 years ago just so I could show him what an amazing place it was. Hot Springs Village has 9 golf courses and 12 lakes making it a host to many firsts for me...this is where I learned to water ski, fish, golf, and drive (the golf cart training surely benefited my skills behind the wheel).
Some of my fondest memories are here in Hot Springs Village, so to be back again with my parents, brother, cousin, aunt, uncle, and husband was very special. We had such fantastic trip and visit with my grandma, I'll just share a few of the highlights!
The first day we were there we walked the golf trails to the lake behind Tutu's house.

Christmas Eve we visited Tutu's church and then came back to her house for a YUMMY meal she prepared for us!


Christmas morning we had a wonderful and emotional time opening gifts. The official title, "Retro Christmas" came into effect after we opened the amazing antique treasures Tutu passed along. It was a memorable morning that will be cherished forever!

Later on that day we walked down to the golf course Tutu lives on for some warm up rounds (The annual 'Berky/Gourley Moon Cup' tournament was to take place the following day).
Lots of memories on this course that my grandparents and dad enjoyed for many years.

That night we enjoyed lots of food and more family when The Berky's arrived!

My Aunt Annie with her new 'Write Plate'. Love you Annie!


The cousins with Tutu on Christmas! (Not quite the same without Bryan's frown face=)

Lots of laughs and memories when you have this group together! Here Auntie Annie and my dad were re-capping dad's heartache when his second grade teacher asked him to simply mouth the words to 'Joy to the World'... =)
Even the rain didn't stop our fun, the last day we had the Moon Cup golf tournament. The Gourley family did win this year, but it sure was a collaborative effort. I'm sure the Berky's will come back strong next year!
The last night Tutu took us all out to eat at the Club. We had such a good time, I miss it already.
The RV landed in Greenville at about 1:30 AM. It was a wonderful trip with so many new memories created. I am grateful for our family and the chance we had to spend time together! Even though distance and time seperates us, it's always so comfortable and happy when we get together. Love to Tutu, Aunt Annie, Uncle Andy, and Drew! I miss you guys already and hope to see you soon!!!

13 comments:

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

That is so special! I love being around family especially during the holidays. so, what antique treasure did Tutu give you?

Jaysey said...

What a fabulous holiday! Like a movie. You have such a neat family.

Anonymous said...

So glad you are home safely and had a nice Christmas! Looks like y'all had so much fun together. There is nothing better than spending time with family... especially during the holidays!

Matt and Dionne said...

I'm so glad you had such a fun time and made it there and back safely!

McKenzie Larson said...

Fun!! Looks like you had a wonderful time and a great Christmas!! Great to see pics of your family!

Russ and Sarah Compton said...

What a wonderful time!!! A picture perfect holiday celebration!

Krissee said...

Wow that looked fun! I'm glad you enjoyed your Christmas. I'm still jealous about the RV.

Cookie and Poppy said...

I love the pictures (as usual). Tutu looks wonderful! She is such a role model. I'm glad you had a safe trip. I did watch the movie RV yesterday in honor of Big Norm. Did the RV have a potty?

Chap and Heather said...

Thanks everyone! It was a very special trip that I'm really grateful we got to go on!

Amber~ I'll tell ya about the gift...I don't want to jinx it though =)

Krissee~ Next time we venture out as a family with the Rollings again I totally think we should go this way...can you imagine the trip to Florida in that thing??

Marilyn~ Ha! Yes, big Norm did get one with a potty...but you know how funny he is about things so we were only allowed to do #1 in it...#2's had to be done at a rest stop =)

The Morgans said...

That looks like a wonderful Christmas!!! I am glad everyone had a great time and that you made it home safely! I am sure Tutu was so happy that everyone was there!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather Doll, what a beautiful tribute you created to our family. And the pictures are absolutely wonderful!! Be sure and get me some copies! To all of our children, thank you so much for this beautiful and memorable trip. I talked to Tutu today and she said if we thought it was wonderful for us, we can't imagine how special it was to her. And you all gave Daddy bhe best christmas present he will ever have!! Love you!!

Doug & Stef said...

So fun - I love seeing my fam and the holidays only make it better. I'm glad you guys had such an eventful time!

Daniel said...

Are you really going to make me do it? I'm trying to be nicer in the new year, but c'mon...........