The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Crib Story

Yesterday we had Carter’s b-day party in Columbia (another post on that will come this week!!) Towards the end of the fabulous party, Chap looked at me and asked if I was ready to go pick up our new crib?? I was so surprised!! We had gone shopping the weekend before in Columbia, but I wasn’t expecting to actually make the purchase this soon (evidently he had planned this out in his mind, I usually do a good job of messing those spontaneous plans up, but this time I did not somehow.) So, after a few phone calls to Mommy Marilyn, we were on our way!

When we get there, we ran into a few small obstacles…

1.) They didn’t have the actual crib we wanted in stock. Well, Chap quickly sidestepped this challenge by making his #2 pick (he gets to pick out the crib; I get to pick out the bedding). So, after some pleading, the nice people agreed to let us have one of the cribs in the back that was obviously on hold for another couple. I felt bad for a second, but then watched how excited this made Chap and the guilt quickly disappeared.
2.) We had my XTerra and the crib box measured 49 in. across, while my car only measured 47ish. So, after Chap swears to the employees he can make it work, he was not successful. After a few minutes, it was decided that the crib would be taken out piece by piece to fit in our car, so we could take it home that day. Can you tell we were a little bit excited??

So, by 11:00 p.m. last night, we had Baby Rollings’ crib assembled, with some pretend bedding to get the full effect.

Some of you have heard us talk about 'Silly'. This is our pretend baby that Chap made after mom and me went on the gender neutral shopping spree. We felt a little disappointed that we had all these great clothes, but no baby...so Chap made Silly (a onesie stuffed with hand towels). I know, we are huge dorks.

We are sooo excited to have our baby’s crib, it makes things seem a little more real. First thing we did this morning was go in there to look at it some more. Thank you soooo much Marilyn, we love you and couldn’t be more happy or excited about our new crib!!

Now it’s on to the bedding, which we won’t be able to make a final decision on till at least July 1st (when we find out the baby’s gender) so till then we’ll continue with the preliminary choices. Chap has mentioned several times that the bedding I like will give our baby headaches and he/she will resent me forever (he thinks my choices are busy and loud) so we’ll see how this next part works out.

13 comments:

Matt and Dionne said...

You guys are so cute! I love the crib, it's gorgeous! I totally remember Matt and I going into our nursery every day just to look at the baby stuff before we had our first:) We are so excited for you guys! Can't wait for the gender announcement!!!

Jaysey said...

That is a very snazzy crib. I don't even have a bed that nice! Lucky baby! ;-)

PS: I too have purchased things insisting they will fit in my car (which is a freaking Mustang btw) and then sat in the parking lot pulling said items out of boxes piece by piece in an attempt to get them home. I did it with a TV once, which is just sad...and multiple piees of furniture. ;-)

Krissee said...

LOVE it!!!!! It looks great. Little Silly looks so cute in there. Can't wait to see it in person.

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

YEA!!! it's absolutely gorgeous and baby rollings will be so happy sleeping there. I can't wait to see it in person either! I also can't wait for July 1st...can that day come a little quicker!

Chap and Heather said...

Thanks guys!!

Jenn~ That is too funny about your Mustang. That must get very old, but it does show determination!!

Amber~ You KNOW I tried really hard to make the day come a little quicker...that doctor wasn't buying ANY of my shenanigans!!

The Morgans said...

LOVE THE CRIB!!! It is gorgeous!!!! Can't wait to find out what you have in that baby bump and see the bedding you have picked out! Happy 1st Birthday Catter!

Russ and Sarah Compton said...

The crib looks amazing! Isn't it so exciting?? July 1st will be here before you know it!

Marissa said...

haha!! that's funny...i know the impatience :) i really like the crib..cant wait to see the nursery!

Anonymous said...

That is Awsome!! Can't wait to come visit and see ya'll very soon.
Norm

Scott, Holly, Teagan and Jellybean said...

It is really adorable how excited ya'll are about having a baby! I think "Silly" is so cute. It will be great practice for the real thing.

papa said...

Heather, you guys sound just like my girls. This is a very exciting time for you and I am happy for you.
Carter's Papa

Chap and Heather said...

Awww, thanks Holly and Papa =) You both just made my day...seeing 'Papa' on here made me smile!

Cookie and Poppy said...

Heather and Chap, I have to confess, when Susie and I came to your house I saw Silly on the floor and thought it was way too adorable. The fact that it's name is Silly is so appropriate for a Rollings baby. I love, love the crib, (bun feet are my favorite and you didn't even know it!) I can't wait until we can come and see you and all the loot again. Love, Mommy