The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Happy BIRTHday Carter!!


Carter Sean Rankin graced us with his sweet presence yesterday, June 3 at 3:13 p.m. weighing 8 lb 1 oz (AND he was a week early!!) I was lucky enough to watch Carter enter this world and it was the most AMAZING thing I’ve ever witnessed! Amber was such a champ…she made the whole baby making thing look WAY too easy!

She was 4 cm dilated at 12:30 p.m., they gave her an epidural (took two times to work). As soon as this began to work, she took a nap for about thirty minutes while I rubbed her head. When the nurse came in to check on her, she quickly woke Amber up because she had progressed quickly and was already at 9 cm!! (Amber always was really good at sleeping!!) The doctor and nurses quickly came in, set up, and then we started pushing! Alright, I actually just sat in the corner for the first 10 minutes crying hysterically and shaking uncontrollably…go figure! But then I got my head in the game, was able to get behind Amber and cheer her on!! It was so exciting!! My favorite part was when the doctor’s cell phone started to ring just before Carter came out…how about the ring tone was set to the Carolina Gamecock theme song ‘2001 Space Odyssey’?? It was fantastic; Scott, Sandy, and I got really pumped up!! So, after about 30 minutes of pushing, some Gamecock spirit, a little bit of crying, and a whole bunch of cheering, Carter decided to check out what all the fuss was about. What an amazing experience, to watch a sweet and beautiful spirit enter the world…it makes me cry just thinking about it!

Scott was such a great new daddy! It was fun to watch him check Carter out…he was pretty amazed with his strong muscles, head full of hair, and his adorable little/big feet! He was so proud of his new son and his strong wife! Uncle Sean, Marion, Grandpa Roger, and I all watched through the nursery window as Scott stood by to observe the nurse poke and prod at Carter to make sure he was a healthy little boy. I guess Carter could sense he had an audience so he decided to put on a show by peeing on the nurse…it was hysterical (especially since the nurse had just finished giving him a rectal temperature check…guess he didn’t like that so much!) Anyway, we all cheered with excitement learning that Carter's pee pee works!! =)

Amber and Scott, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful experience with me! It was the MOST amazing thing I have ever experienced. Amber, your strength and grace truly amaze me. Watching your confidence and determination made me so proud to be your best friend! You are already a natural and wonderful mother! You and Scott are awesome parents with so many friends and family who are going to love and support you through this exciting journey! I can’t wait to see that little man again…I already miss him so much!!!

Scott and Amber meeting their new little boy!

My first time holding Carter was the best feeling in the world, I love him so much!

Scott had a little chat with Carter about fly-fishing and how important it was =)

Scott gave Amber her WELL deserved push present, diamond earrings! Good job Scott (I think I am going to ask Chap for a push present too b/c I pushed really hard for Amber!)

The Rankin boys checking out the newest Rankin addition!

Shelly, Erica, and Mike drove from Rock Hill for a surprise visit to meet Carter! (Side Note: I kept this a secret Justin!)

Krissee and Daniel came to meet the little man too! Get ready guys...you're next!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carter is ADORABLE!!!! I am so happy for them and cait wait to meet him!!!!
B

Jaysey said...

That's so nuts! I can't believe Amber is a mom! I know you said you were too tired (all taht sympathy puching!) to write much, but this was a pretty good write-up of the event. I got a little teary-eyed with you, Aunt Heather. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I can't believe it either!! Congratulations Amber & Scott!!!! Love you guys!! And double congratulations to Amber for all that work, they don't call it Labor for nothing!! (or so I've been told) I'll be very curious to hear all about the details of childbirth at a later time! ;-)
And might I say what a fantastic looking newborn!!! He doesn't look all creepy alien baby, like they usually do. ;-)
Thanks for keeping us updated Heather, I really appreciate it. I know you are walking on clouds right now with all these babes to welcome into the world!! =)

Matt and Dionne said...

How exciting! That is so neat that you were able to be there for the whole thing! McKenzie was there holding my puke bowl for me--so nice of her:) Its so nice having the people you love and care about there for you during that whole experience!

By the way, the mommy looks fantastic! And what a cute little baby!

Anonymous said...

My eyes are tearing up just reading this! Isn't it just so neat!! Wait until it's you'r baby (which hopefully is soon) :) there is nothing better! Carter is soooo cute and what a darling mommy he has too!

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

thanks for all the support,prayers, and visits! Carter is doing fantastic and we will get to go home tomorrow. I can't believe he is finally here!! It has all been so amazing!

love you guys!
amber

Anonymous said...

Heather,

What a sweet blog entry! That Carter really is a little doll. I can't wait to hold him again. Amber really makes the whole pregnancy thing look easy.

Love you,
Krissee

Doug & Stef said...

Oh, how fun! I can't believe you were there for the whole thing! my mom was there for our shebang, which I wasn't planning on, but didn't care enough at that point.What an amazing experience. My mom said she enjoyed it so much more because she could actually focus on what was really happening. That is so wonderful!

Gigi and gramps said...

Sorry it took me so long to check out the blog, Sweetie, but I'll explain later.

Amber and Scott look like such proud and loving parents (which I know they will be), and Carter is absolutely beauiful!! And Antie Heather looks like the most proud Aunt I've ever seen!!! You'll never know how it makes me feel seeing you hold a newborn baby like that and knowing that someday it will be yours (ours!).

And how wonderful that all of their friends showed up to see this beautiful little boy and support the parents on the happiest day of their life!!

You all are great friends/family to each other!!

Okay, Krissee, am now waiting to see pictures of those beautiful twins!! It won't be long now!

Congratulations Scott and Amber - and Auntie Heather!! My love to all of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your shower this weekend! Are you all ready? Can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures.

Cookie and Poppy said...

I love your pictures, Auntie Header! I can't wait to see Carter, he looks adorable. I'm so glad he and Amber did so well.