The Rollings

An attempt to preserve the moment and celebrate family ~Heather

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A breath of fresh air!

I don't know about you, but recently I have a hard time falling asleep after watching the news. According to Chap I have been grinding my teeth extra hard the last few weeks, I'm sure due to stress that comes from watching what's going on in the media. So, I thought I'd share some positive thoughts that have given me hope in this crazy world we are living in today!

My class is exploring how the development of a society is influenced by changing environments (integrating Native American standards with our habitat standards). This year they have made GREAT connections in comparing how early settlers effected our environment with how people effect our environment today. After reading 'A River Ran Wild' we brainstormed different ways that we effect our environment today.

Next we did a little experiment with 'Fred the Fish' to see how every day pollutants effect lakes, rivers, and streams (Fred had chemicals from factories, salt from streets, litter, and eroding soil dumped into his habitat). My kids were MOST upset for Fred (who was actually a sponge cut into the shape of a fish) that ended up turning black and red living in water that was almost impossible to breathe in.

After this sad experiment, I asked my kids to write a paragraph explaining how this made them feel. They couldn't finish their paragrahs quick enough to start taking action in helping our environment! Below are just a few things they have done independently to help create solutions for problems we face today. I was so proud, I had to share!

Each group gathered old boxes to create a recycling bin for their area of work at school. It's almost become a competition to see which group can recycle the most!

Today I had a girl bring in flyers that she made at her house to share with other classes and local businesses expressing her concern for the earth and solutions of how we can help!


Another boy in my class who walks to school has picked up trash every day along the path he takes to get here. I am so proud of him when he actually takes the time to pick this trash up, bring it to school, and put it in his group's recycle box (side bar: one day he brought in 6 bud light cans that he had found...I was a little mortified when he walked in my class carying beer cans...we made sure we put these in a bag before putting in our box, that's all I need is for administration to walk in and think we've been boozing it up! =)

Other things THEY have come up with to help our environment:

  • We'vebeen using one light instead of two in the class, this said this helps save electricity
  • They remind me to make limited copies and to be sure and use front and back of paper to reduce on # of trees wasted.
  • They have written letters to the school cafeteria asking that we use washable trays rather than styrofoam trays.
  • They are writing letters to principal asking that each class has a recycle bin so that the school can decrease trash.
  • They ATTEMPTED to have me no longer give tests to reduce on paper...unfortuneatley this one did not pass =)

Anyway, I hope reading this gives you a small amount of positive news today. I had to share because if you are like me, you might need a breath of fresh air from all the negativeness in the media today!

9 comments:

Justin Smith said...

Its crazy you posted this because I've been debating on whether or not to send this analogy to you to post on your blog.... I have a class on Sustainability this was brought up. Its a lot to think about. Anyway, this is an analogy by David Suzuki (sorry its kinda long but great):

"Let us take a system analogous to the planet, namely a test tube full of food for bacteria. We introduce one bacterium and it proceeds to divide every minute so at time 0, there is one cell, at 1 minute there are 2 cells, 2 minutes, 4 cells, 3 minutes, 8 cells, etc until at 60 minutes, the entire test tube is full of bacteria and there is no food left, so it's a 60 minute growth cycle. When is the test tube half full? Of course, the answer is at 59 minutes. So at 58 minutes, the test tube is 25% full, at 57 minutes, it's 12.5% full. At 55 minutes, the tube is 3% full, and if at that moment, one bacterium announces they have a population problem, the others would scoff that 97% of the test tube is empty and they've been in existence for 55 minutes."

"So suppose the bacteria are no more prescient than humans and at 59 minutes wake up to the fact that they have only one minute left and splash money to the bacterial scientists who create three new test tubes full of food. So in less than a minute, they quadruple the amount of food and space. For humans, it would mean adding three more planets."

"So are they saved? Well, at 60 minutes, the first test tube is full, at 61 minutes, the second is full and at 62 minutes, all four are full. By quadrupling the amount of food and space, they buy two extra minutes and how can we add even a fraction of one percent more air, water, soil or biodiversity? And every biologist I've discussed this with agrees that we are already past the 59th minute!"

Matt and Dionne said...

I know exactly what you mean! I actually had to stop watching the news every day because I started to feel really sick every time I turned it on.
I think what you and your class is doing is fabulous! You are such a great teacher! We need more just like you!
P.S. The post about your dad totally made me tear up! What a neat man!

Amber, Scott, and Carter said...

wow, i know you must be so proud of them!! And thanks to you for encouraging them to make changes!

Chap and Heather said...

Justin~ wow, that is pretty amazing! I think I'm going to print and share with my two G/T students...they would really get into this! They spit statistics at me all the time...now I have something to give back =)

Amber & Dionne~ Thanks ladies!! I actually think I'm pretty lucky to be part of the whole process, watching kids get enthusiastic and motivated to take action on their own is about the biggest reward there is for a teacher. Watching these kids and their determination gives definitely gives me hope!

Anonymous said...

It's no wonder why you were teacher of the year! You are such a wonderful teacher!! I hope, when my girls get older, they will have a teacher like you. A teaher who actually cares and still enjoys teaching! What a great class you have!! Way to go on saving the earth Mrs. Rollings class!! :)

Chap and Heather said...

awwww, thanks Jamie!! =) I don't know what I'd do if I had your girls...probably just play dress up all day because they are so freakin' cute!! I wish we lived closer =(

Jaysey said...

Good work, Heather!

Cookie and Poppy said...

Wow Heather, what a great post. And thanks Justin for the analogy. I love hearing about Heather's class, I'll bet her students never mind coming to school. They love her so much they bring her beer cans, etc...

Anonymous said...

Heather Doll, this is so interesting and so uplifting about what your class is doing right now. But I have to say, what inspires them is the absolutely awesome teacher they have. I don’t know how many 4th graders would get this excited about a project like this unless they had a teacher that they loved and respected to inspire them. I’m going to tell on you right now, but do you know what, you guys, Heather did when she was a little girl? She would get all of her little Muppet babies and line them up and play teacher with them!! She even took pictures of them!! I know I’m getting personal here, but you’ve always been the most awesome daughter any mother could ever have. And I KNEW that whatever you decided to do with your life you would be very successful at it. I’ve sat in your classroom and I’ve seen the love you give your children and the passion you have for your job and I see why they respond to you the way they do. I so wish we had more teachers like you, but there’s only one daughter like you – and I’m more proud of you than you’ll ever know!! (You can chew me out later for writing all this!!)

Love, MOM